Activities conducted on individual Newstart programs differ according to local resources and the seasons.
To see our 2017 pamphlet, click here.
For the latest individual program, please contact the local coordinator.
The local program offers:
Adventure Camps and Activities
– Bushwalking Camp
– Mountain Bike Riding
– Surfing/Stand Up Paddle Boarding
– Low Ropes Course/Obstacle Course
– X-country skiing
Personal Development and Certificate Work
– Level 1 Basic Life Support Certificate
– YMCA Water Safety Certificate
– Chisholm TAFE Taster Certificate
– CFA Fire Awareness Certificate
– Environment Appreciation Certificate (City of Casey)
– Community work with Waverley Industries
– Self Defence
– Chisholm TAFE Taster
– Resume Building and Job Interview session with YIP Services.
– Vocational goal setting
Community Projects and Involvement
The program operates with several community partnerships thereby increasing the students’ connectedness to our community.
– Environmental work with the City of Casey at Myuna Farm
– CFA Fire Awareness Course
– Working with people with disabilities at Waverley Industries
– Volunteer work at Bikes 4 Life
– Volunteer work at Narre Warren Transit Soup Kitchen
A formal graduation ceremony takes place in week eight of the program. The graduation is the culmination of the term’s work and is an event that is celebrated by friends, family, important members of the education and community partner network, as well as many of the people that have been involved in the delivery of the program.
To graduate from the program the students need to adhere to a strict set of guidelines which basically involve full participation in the course.
Students are followed up with school visits and phone calls post program for a period of two years.
Yousef of Intake 30 receiving his portfolio and graduation certificate with rapper Mr. Motley and
ONV’s Phil Wheatley.